Monday, February 8, 2010

Why I Create Art

Epiphany #967: My epiphanies often return to uncertainties. When I think I have mastered an adversity, I have most likely only scratched the surface. There is always more to uncover.

We are layered and complex beings living in a layered and complex world. I may never fully understand who I am, why I am here, or the nature of this earth. The knots of life may never completely uncoil, no matter how much I reason, contemplate, or meditate on it.

But that's okay. This is food for art.

Being an artist is a personal outlet and an opportunity for growth. It gives me a chance to sort out experiences in a way that my analytical mind can't completely grasp. Putting life's nuances on canvas is more satisfying to me than therapy. Plus it is profitable and pretty.

An old boyfriend while I was in college asked me why I was choosing to be an artist. "You are so smart," he said. "You could do something more with your talents." I looked at him stunned. "How could I not be one?" What compels me to make art is the same thing that compels me to draw in each breath of air. It's automatic fuel for my spirit.

Some think that artist's are bold. We live a life that can look peculiar, non-traditional and exotic. I think it is bold to live a life without any creative freedoms. In a world full of uncertainties, I certainly choose to follow that which nourishes the spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment